Ed first went to South Africa in 1951, accompanying his parents, when he was 17. His parents’ plans to become missionaries greatly distressed him until a wonderful encounter with God settled the matter once and for all. After a year and a half assisting in the work of his parents, he enrolled in South African Bible Institute, located in the town of Brakpan, near Johannesburg. Upon completion of the two-year course, he planted a church among the so-called “Coloured” (mixed race) and Indian people in Pietersburg, now called Polokwane, two hundred miles north of Johannesburg. In 1956 he returned to the USA for two years with the view to raising support and establishing himself as a missionary. In the following year he met Barbara Hughes, the eldest daughter of Ralph Hughes – pastor of the Assemblies of God church in Clio, Michigan. They were married on February 1, 1958. In July of that year they sailed from New York on the SS Constantia for Cape Town, South Africa.
You may partner with the Louton family in reaching the nations by giving via our web donation service.